- Keep traditions that your loved one started, and that you can continue. This is a way to help honor your lost loved one on Thanksgiving.
- Try to establish new traditions. You can include a new activity that everyone enjoys. Grief can have a unique way of giving us the opportunity to evaluate the parts of the holidays that are enjoyable and those that are not.
- Give thanks for the time you had with your loved one. While saying what you are thankful for, share that you are thankful you had your loved one in your life.
- Talk about your loved one with friends and family. Thanksgiving can bring your family and friends together. Share your memories with them and encourage them to share favorite stories as well.
- Do an online tribute for your loved one. Click here to light a remembrance candle:
- Chat online about your loved one. Join the conversation at Beyond Indigo’s Message Forum: http://forums.grieving.com/
- Light a candle for them. In addition to lighting a candle online, you can have a remembrance candle lit on your Thanksgiving table.
- Remember to take care of yourself. Thanksgiving marks the start of the busiest time of year. Take time now for yourself by going on a long walk, listening to music, and getting enough sleep.
What are ways you have been able to remember your loved ones on Thanksgiving? How have you been able to cope with grief on this holiday?